Friday 14 November 2014

Marie-Louises

I've put flocking the Young Guard to one side whilst, butterfly-like, I start work on a couple more battalions.

I recently bought a battalion of Neapolitans from David Davies, but my need for French Ligne is far greater and I've decided to re-badge them as French, reserving the distinctive Neapolitan standard bearer, pioneer and officer for a later project.

The rump of the minis from the battalion have been reinforced by a draft of Marie-Louises, the young, poorly equipped recruits drafted by Napoleon around the time of the defeat at Leipzig.  Following an idea from Guy Bowers, I've made these up using the Warlord Late War French torsos and spare heads in pokelem caps taken from the Warlord and Perry plastics sets.

I'm going to paint the greatcoats on the recruits in khaki and an off-grey shade to give what will now be two battalions an irregular appearance.  

Here are three of the Marie-Louise recruits.  The two on the left have Warlord bodies, and the one on the right a Victrix body which is a good match for the former.  The centre head is Warlord, and the other two Perry.  I've distressed the greatcoats with drill and craft knife, to give them a ragged appearance.  They should be relatively quick to paint!

6 comments:

  1. They look good so far Simon...paint, paint more and more, The Emperor needs a lot of troops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say, Phil, is "Thank God for greatcoats!" :-)

      Delete
  2. Great idea with these figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on those. I already spottet them on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- they are coming on. I'll post a new photo tomorrow!

      Best, Simon

      Delete